Saturday, February 5, 2011

His last run before retirement! August 2010

  Ronnie is a owner operator , pulls containers out of Savannah. I went with him on his last run before his "retirement" .. I knew then he was sick just thought the diabetes and hypertension and fatigue were taking their toll! Back to the trip..he has a load going to Ft. Smith Ark so he wanted me to go with him and bribed me by taking me to Branson! So we went and spent a lot of time talking over those long miles. We were exhausted when we got to Ft. Smith! We had only been asleep a few hours when it was time to get up! We did the necessary things of dropping the trailer and managed to get a rental car...off we went to Branson! We were exhausted by the time we got there so we plopped on our bed and took a long nap! We woke up in time to catch a very good show and have dinner after..it was great!! Next morning back to Ft Smith... and oh I met a very sweet person at the show and now have a new Facebook pal who lives in Mo!! The traffic was horrific in Branson, I do not recommend going and coming in the manner we did.. might also be better to have a room int he middle of the action so you can walk!

  We went back, picked up our trailer and headed towards home! A long ride but riding in a big truck is not as exhausting as a car because you have more room to stretch your legs! I was sooo glad to get home. I am a homebody but he loves the road! This was the hardest thing for him to do knowing how much he loves his occupation! I guess everyone needs to love what they do to make a living!

   He was a bit restless being at home but at the same time knew he did not feel up to par. Baby Carson helped us ease the pain. We enjoyed our short time with him before it became clear we could not keep him either. Ronnie's energy was waning and he began having more unexplained pain but shrugged it off . I was having a time with my knees so we began making weekly trips to Macon to get shots in both of my knees.
On the second trip I woke up, could hardly walk and Ronnie wasn't feeling well either... it was pretty clear to both of us, as much as we loved baby Carson and wanted to help since his mom went back to work, we were going to have to tell his parents we could no longer do it. He will probably be our last grand baby so this was not an easy choice to make... we were hoping he could be a little older before he began daycare!

2 comments:

  1. I know how awful it is to say NO to the parents when you really want to keep the baby. I have been there. It took such courage for you to be able to put your health FIRST. God Bless You.
    Leola

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both cried that day... It was very hard!

    ReplyDelete